Ever find yourself laying in bed…wide awake…staring at the ceiling…perfectly comfortable on your wonderful, new Sleepy’s mattress…and yet STILL not able to fall asleep? We’ve all counted sheep until our head is as full of sheep as the Australian outback, but to no avail.
It’s a dilemma we’ve all faced and one we don’t typically want to repeat. But if it ever does, here are a few things you can count instead of those wooly little creatures that have never worked before.
- Rivers that flow North – For some reason we all think they should flow south, but that’s just not how it goes.
- Apple trees in a single apple seed – This is actually an unknowable, but you can go a long way with mathematical averages and general tree life spans.
- Pharaoh’s buried in the Valley of the Kings – There’s nothing like thoughts of mummies and ancient Egypt to send you peacefully off to sleep…umm, on second thought, maybe you should skip this one.
- Habitable places that are below sea level – Death Valley just doesn’t sound very hospitable to me, but I could be wrong.
- Cities in Europe that end in “-burg” – This one is destined to keep you counting for a long, long time.
- Number of times John Wayne called someone “Pilgrim” in his movies – It’s an iconic phrase, but how often did he actually say it?
- Shoes in Imelda Marcos’ closet – You could even do it by color to add interest.
- Michael Jackson songs to reach the Billboard top 10 songs list – It’s a record for a male artist. Once you’ve counted them, if you’re still awake, start singing them.
- Bees in one hive – You might want to skip this one if you have a phobia of insects.
- Stars in the sky – This one will take a lifetime.
The next time you’re unwillingly awake in the middle of the night, close your eyes and give these a try. It will keep your mind busy, help with relaxation, or possibly induce a late-night Google search to find out the answers. Either way, it’s better than just staring at the ceiling.