The area might be named for a certain, sun-colored citrus fruit, but the favorite fruit in many homes in Orange County, California is the mighty green wonder food: the avocado. From savory dishes to sweet treats, this little green, nutrition rich machine has been finding its way into delicious recipes in the kitchens of the amazing cooks in the Palo Alto at Stonegate community and beyond. Here are a few favorites that will have you thinking about planting an avocado tree in your own backyard.
1. The “Best” Guacamole Ever
This amazing recipe comes courtesy of the California Avocado Commission. They certainly know what they’re talking about, this guacamole is amazing!
4 large, ripe California avocados (peeled and seeded)
3 limes, juice only
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 medium white onion, chopped fine
¼ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp salt
1 serrano pepper, chopped fine
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- In large bowl, mash avocados with a fork
- Add remaining ingredients and serve immediately with tortilla chips.
2. Avocado, Tomato, and Cucumber Salad
This salad is so deliciously fresh you’ll feel like you’re standing in a garden when you put it in your mouth.
1 lbs. Roma tomatoes
1 English cucumber
1/2 medium red onion, sliced
2 avocados, diced
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil
Juice of 1 medium lemon (about 2 Tbsp.)
1/4 cup (1/2 bunch) cilantro, chopped*
1 tsp sea salt or 3/4 tsp table salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
- Place the sliced, diced, and chopped tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, avocado, and cilantro into a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Toss gently before serving toss and add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
3. Chicken Avocado Lime Soup
From appetizer to salad and now on to the soup course. This silky soup will have you longing for lunch in no time.
2 chicken breasts
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups green onions, finely chopped, divided
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tomato, diced
3 – 14.5oz cans chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
2 avocados, diced
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat 1 tsp olive oil, add chicken, lower temperature to medium, and grill chicken until temperature reaches 165° F. Shred chicken, cover and set aside.
- In Dutch oven heat remaining 2 tsps. olive oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add 1 cup green onions and garlic; Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add tomato; Sauté 1 minute, until soft.
- Add chicken broth, cumin, and salt.
- Stir and bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Layering in individual bowls in this order:
- shredded chicken, avocado, green onions (from the remaining 1/2 cup), and cilantro. Cover with chicken broth onto the layered ingredients in each bowl. Serve each bowl with a lime wedge.
4. Chicken Avocado Burritos
This main dish serves up the best of sunny, Southern California. Perfect for a party or laid-back family gathering.
4 burrito sized tortilla
1 lbs. chicken, cooked, sliced, or shredded
1 large, diced avocado
1 Cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
¼ cup salsa verde
¼ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Layer your ingredients the way you like, toast burritos on a grill, and serve warm.
5. Avocado Brownies
Before you make an “icky” face, you have got to try these amazing brownies. They are dense, rich, and delicious. Because Avocados are naturally high in “healthy” fats, they make brownies even better than you can imagine. Go ahead, try another one.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed avocado
1/2 cup milk (dairy-free alternative: vanilla or plain soy milk)
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional: chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Beat together avocado, milk, water, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients, mix until combined.
- Grease pan, and pour in brownie batter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool brownies completely, cut into squares and enjoy!